Assessment is an evaluation that involves testing of a person’s mood and personality (a psychological assessment) and/or of how well a person’s brain is working when it performs certain functions, such as remembering or solving problems (a neuropsychological assessment). The type of assessment and therefore the types of tests given as part of the assessment depend upon the questions you and your health care professional have.
Assessments may be used to obtain several types of information. The purpose may range from determining an individual’s talents, to identifying how an injury has affected thinking skills, to determining how a person’s mood is impacting his or her daily life. An assessment provides information to affected individuals, as well as physicians, therapists, teachers, and parents to further inform appropriate lifestyle changes, interventions, and key issues in medical or mental health treatment.
What is Neuropsychological Assessment?
Neuropsychological assessment involves testing of brain functioning. The tests used in this type of evaluation may assess the following areas: attention, memory, problem-solving, reasoning, visual-spatial skills, language functions, academic skills, and intellectual abilities (IQ). Most of the tests are paper-and-pencil tasks or require working with materials on a table. Some tests may use a computer. Neuropsychological evaluations may be of help in:
1) Identifying the effects of a neurologic event or injury (such as a stroke or brain injury) on thinking skills,
2) Forming a diagnosis of a neurological disease (for example, Alzheimer’s disease),
3) Identifying cognitive strengths and weaknesses,
4) Guiding treatment for personal, educational, or occupational needs,
5) Making relevant recommendations to your health-care provider, and/or,
6) Documenting possible changes (positive or negative) in functioning over time.
The Behavioral Health Institute is proud to offer the following neuropsychological assessment services:
Neuropsychological & Medical Assessments
To schedule an assessment please contact us.