Assessment Strategy and Cycle
The Loma Linda University Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs) show what the University expects for its graduates to know, be able to do or produce before graduation. The systematic analysis of the SLO assessments will guide the University in its strategic planning process at all levels.
Common strategies of assessing Institutional Student Learning Outcomes are typically based on a liberal arts undergraduate model; so these strategies of campus-wide assessment are not best suited for LLU for either our undergraduate or graduate programs. Therefore, a new model is proposed for LLU that addresses each program's level and discipline using flexible or contextualized rubrics for assessment of student work at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
Programs will assess the LLU Student Learning Outcomes using the LLU contextual rubric developed for each outcome. In this assessment process programs will:
- Modify the LLU SLO rubrics according to the guidelines1, if desired to make them individualized and contextual for the program's level and discipline.
- Add bullet points that specifically show what each each level looks like in the program.
- Add additional criteria, if desired.
- Use the LLU SLO rubric to assess student learning on pre-identified assessment measurement tools for the SLOs2.
- Identify assessments you are currently using rather than create a new assessment measurement tool, if at all possible. Assistance is available at the Office of Educational Effectiveness, if needed.
- Analyze findings from the data. Identify issues that need resolution or improvement.
- Close the assessment loop by making any indicate program changes.
- Select a target for the next assessment cycle for this SLO.
- Develop strategy to reach the target for next assessment cycle.
- Submit the data:
- Fill out Program SLO data report template
- Attach the program individualized LLU SLO rubric, if one was developed and used for the assessment.
Data Submission Form (online tool)
Loma Linda University Student Learning Outcome Report
1. Assessment measurement tools(s):
2. Program data collection cycles:
3. Criteria for success:
4. Who interprets the assessment data? What is the process?
5. Findings from data collection:
6. Resulting program changes:
7. Target for next SLO assessment cycle:
8. Strategy to reach SLO target:
9. Action plan progress report:
Calendar Cycle for Assessing LLU SLOs
The four year-cycle will begin with three SLOs but from the second year forward will assess two SLOs per year. On the fifth year, or the first year of the second time on the cycle, there will be only two SLOs, as indicated.
► LLU SLO Assessment Strategy & Cycle (.pdf)
2The program would identify these in its Assessment Matrix prior to assessing the SLOs.