The Kinzer-Rice Award for Excellence in University Teaching
Honoring faculty who exemplify
the best in teaching excellence at LLU
Nomination & Review Process
Kinzer-Rice Award Committee
- Composition - the award recipients and each school's academic dean or designated representative
Invitation and Due Date for Nominations
- The call for nominations will be made in the fall.
- Nominations will be due one month after the call.
- Nominator (student or faculty member)
Email a completed Faculty Nomination Form for a full-time faculty member to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date.
- Faculty Nominee (includes previous nominees)
Email a completed Faculty Nominee Response Form to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date. (This form will be sent to you from the award coordinator). Completion of this form includes:
- Brief statement of your teaching and learning objectives along with implementation strategies, addressing as many of the award criteria as possible (see the table below)
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Name and contact information for three individuals familiar with your teaching effectiveness (1 LLU faculty member, 1 current LLU student, and 1 former LLU student)
- Evidence examples (optional)
- Faculty and Students Contacted for Recommendations
Email a completed Recommendation Form to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date (this form will be sent to you by the award coordinator).
- Kinzer-Rice Award Committee
Review the qualifications of all nominees and select a recipient for the award.
Award Criteria & Evidence Examples
|Has mastered their field of study
|| Leader in discipline, gives conference presentations - CV
|Gives effective educational presentations
|| Formative dialogue report, student recommendations, clinical teaching, laboratory teaching, graduate student mentorship, faculty development, meetings/symposia within their field
|Actively seeks to improve teaching effectiveness
|| Formative dialogue report, attendance of faculty development events, conducting research on teaching effectiveness, utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, conducts active assessment and closes the loop in the classroom, participates in formative dialogues
|Encourages colleagues' teaching effectiveness
||Share teaching/learning strategies with colleagues, a scholar in formative dialogues, mentoring
|Contributes to student long-range success
|| Positive student relations, maintains connections to students over time, uses student evaluation data to plan for improvements in teaching
|Integrates LLU's Mission-focused learning into teaching
|| Course syllabi addressing LLU SLOs, online course prayer circles, class devotional presentations
Kinzer-Rice Award 2012