The Kinzer-Rice Award for Excellence in University Teaching
Honoring faculty who exemplify
the finest traditions of education at LLU
Nomination & Review Process
Kinzer-Rice Award Committee
- Composition - the two most recent award recipients and representatives from each school, the University Faculty Committee, the Faculty Development Committee, and the Office of Educational Effectiveness Committee
Invitation and Due Date for Nominations
- The call for nominations will be made in early fall.
- Nominations will be due one month after the call.
- Nominator (student or faculty member)
Email a completed Faculty Nomination Form for a full-time faculty member to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date.
- Faculty Nominee (includes previous nominees)
Email a completed Faculty Nominee Response Form to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date. (This form will be sent to you from the award coordinator.) Completion of this form includes:
- Brief statement of your teaching and learning objectives along with implementation strategies, addressing as many of the award criteria as possible (see the table below)
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Name and contact information for three individuals familiar with your teaching effectiveness (1 LLU faculty member, 1 current LLU student, and 1 former LLU student)
- Evidence examples (optional)
- Faculty and Students Contacted for Recommendations
Email a completed Recommendation Form to KRAward@llu.edu by the due date (this form will be sent to you by the award coordinator).
- Kinzer-Rice Award Committee
Review the qualifications of all nominees and select a recipient for the award.
Award Criteria & Evidence Examples
|Has mastered their field of study
|| Leader in discipline, gives conference presentations - CV
|Gives effective educational presentations
|| Formative dialogue report, student recommendations, clinical teaching, laboratory teaching, graduate student mentorship, faculty development, meetings/symposia within their field
|Actively seeks to improve teaching effectiveness
|| Formative dialogue report, attendance of faculty development events, conducting research on teaching effectiveness, utilizes a variety of instructional strategies, conducts active assessment and closes the loop in the classroom, participates in formative dialogues
|Encourages colleagues' teaching effectiveness
||Share teaching/learning strategies with colleagues, a scholar in formative dialogues, mentoring
|Contributes to student long-range success
|| Positive student relations, maintains connections to students over time, uses student evaluation data to plan for improvements in teaching
|Integrates LLU's Mission-focused learning into teaching
|| Course syllabi addressing LLU SLOs, online course prayer circles, class devotional presentations
Kinzer-Rice Award 2012