Requirements for Letters of Recommendation
We require letters of recommendation/evaluation for all applicants.
If the pre-health professions advising office at the applicant's school provides a committee recommendation or a packet of recommendations this committee recommendation or packet is required by the School of Medicine and no other recommendations are required.
If this type of recommendation or packet is not available through the applicant's school a minimum of three individual recommendations from individuals who know the applicant well are required. At least one of those recommendations must be from a science professor who has taught the applicant. It is suggested that the other references come from a physician, employer, pastor (or other clergy) or other persons who know the applicant. During the process of completing a supplementary application the applicant will have access to a downloadable recommendation form. Recommenders have the option of using this form or writing a personal letter of recommendation.
How to Submit Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation must be submitted to the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), which receives all letters on behalf of medical schools participating in the AMCAS Letters Service. You can submit letters to AMCAS in one of the following ways:
- AMCAS Letter Writer Application: This application enables letter writers to upload PDF versions of letters securely to AMCAS rather than send letters via the mail. Anyone providing a letter of recommendation will be required to register as a letter writer with AMCAS and will need your AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID in order to upload their letter.
- VirtualEvals (VE): VE is available to members of the National Association of Advisors for the Health Professions (NAAHP). If VE is used, the requesting student's AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID must be included.
- Interfolio: AMCAS can receive letters sent to Interfolio if the student requesting this letter is an Interfolio user or if the recommender’s institution/organization uses Interfolio to deliver letters of evaluation/recommendation. The applicant’s AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID must be added to the Interfolio account.
- Postal Mail: If this option is selected, the AMCAS Letter Request Form, which includes the applicant’s AAMC ID and AMCAS Letter ID, must be attached to the letters sent by recommenders. The letter(s) will need to be mailed to AMCAS at the following address:
attn: AMCAS Letters
AAMC Medical School Application Services
P.O. Box 18958
Washington, DC 20036
Please visit the AMCAS website for additional details and AMCAS letter writer requirements, available here.
- Do not submit letters of recommendation directly to the Office of Admissions.
- Applicants do not have to wait for the letters to be received by AMCAS prior to submitting their AMCAS application. Once the letters become available, they will be forwarded to the schools.
- Letters of recommendation are downladed from the AMCAS website after the supplementary application is received.