As a Gynecologic Oncology Researcher, my main research focus is related to female cancers, particularly on breast cancer biomarker search and genetic profiling of breast cancer in response to therapy. My research is based on four main objectives:
1. Salivary DNA and PTEN Snps array in triple negative breast cancer.
2. Salivary DNA, miRNA, and exosomal proteomic profiling of triple negative breast cancer patients.
3. Role of Survivin/PRMT5 complex in silencing ER/PR genes in breast carcinogenesis.
4. Exosomal survivin as a plausible biomarker in breast, prostate, and pancreatic cancer sera.
1. S. Khan, JMS Jutzy, MM Valenzuela, D Turay, Jon Aspe, A Ashok, M Lilly, and NR Wall. The Inhibitor of apoptosis protein (IAP) protein surviving exists in the serum exosomes of mid and advanced stage prostate cancer patients. Plos one, 2012 (in press).
2. J.M.S. Jutzy, S. Khan, M.M.A. Valenzuela, T.M. Milford, K.J. Payne, N.R. Wall. Tumor-released Survivin inhibits T cell proliferation and alters CD4+ T cell cytokine profiles to induce a pro-tumor microenvirnment. Cancer Microenvironment, Feb [Epub ahead of print] 2012.
3. S. Khan, J.M.S Jutzy, J.R. Aspe, M.M.A Valenzuela, J. Park, D. Turay, N.R. Wall. Application of Membrane Vesicles for Cancer Therapy. Advances in Cancer Therapy ISBN 979-953-307-209-7, 2011.
4. S. Khan, JMS Jutzy, JR Aspe, DW McGregor, JW Neidigh, NR Wall. Survivin is released from cancer cells via exosomes. Apoptosis 16(1): 1-12, 2011.
5. MD. Pisarska, I. Bentsi-Barnes, G. Barlow, S. Khan, F. Kuo. LATS1 phosphorylates Forkhead L2 and regulates its activity as a transcriptional repressor of the Steroidogenic Acute Regulatory Gene. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 299(1): 101-109, 2010.
6. S. Khan, JR Aspe, MG Asumen, F Almguel, O Odumosu, S Acevedo-Martinez, M De Leon, NR Wall. Extracellular, cell-permeable survivin inhibits apoptosis while promoting proliferative and metastatic potential. British Journal of Cancer 100(7):1073-1086, 2009.
7. MD. Pisarska, FT. Kuo, D. Tang, P. Zarrini, S. Khan, A. Ketefian. Expression of Forkhead Transcription Factors in Human Granulosa Cells. Fertil Steril 91(4 Suppl): 1392-1394 2008.
8. Ketefian, S. Khan, P. Zarrini, L. Kao, M. Pisarska. P-712 Expression of forkhead transcription factors in human granulose cells. Fertil Steril 86(3 Suppl):S397, 2006.
9. L. Kumetz, S. Khan, P. Zarrini, B. Trivax, L. Kao, M.D. Pisarska. FoxL2, a gene associated with premature ovarian failure, interacts with large tumor suppressor gene 1 (Lats1). Fertil Steril (3 Suppl):S11-S12, 2006.
10. S. Khan, Kumagai T, Vora J, Bose N, Sehgal I, Koeffler PH, Bose S. PTEN promoter is methylated in a proportion of invasive breast cancers. Int J Cancer 112(3): 407-410, 2004.
11. S. Khan, H. Katabuchi, M. Araki, R. Nishimura, H. Okamura. Human Villous Macrophage-Conditioned Media Enhance Human Trophoblasts Growth and Differentiation In Vitro. Biol Repro 62(4): 1075-1083, 2000.
12. S. Khan, H. Katabuchi, M. Araki, T. Ohba, T. Koizumi, H. Okamura, R. Nishimura. The Molar Vesicle Fluid Contains the beta-Core Fragment of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. Placenta 21(1): 79-87, 2000.
13. H. Ohtake, H. Katabuchi, K. Matsuura, H. Tashiro, T. Ohba, S. Khan, H. Okamura. In vitro model of endometriosis using ovarian surface epithelial cells and endometrial stromal cells. Japanese Journal of Endometriosis 22:3-6, 2000.
14. S. Khan, H. Katabuchi, Y. Okamura, S. Matsumura, R. Nagai, H. Ohtake, Y. Suenaga, Y. Fukumatsu, Y. Ikuta, H. Okamura. Malignant Soft Tissue Tumors of Ovary in Three Cases: Histology, Immunohistochemistry, and Ultrastructural Observation. Medical Electron Microscopy 31(4): 207-215, 1998.
15. H. Ohtake, H. Katabuchi, H. Tashiro, , S. Khan, Y. Fukumatsu, H. Okamura. Establishment of a New Cell Line, OKT1, from Small Cell Carcinoma Secreting Ectopic ACTH of the Uterine Cervix. Gynecol Oncol 71(2): 177-184, 1998.
16. H. Katabuchi, H. Ohtake, S. Khan, Y. Fukumatsu, H. Okamura Macrophages in Reproductive Organs. In: PM Motta (ed.) Recent Advances in Microscopy in Reproductive System. Rome: Antonio Delfino Editore :547-552, 1997.