Dr. Obenaus serves as the Director of the Non-Invasive Imaging Laboratory in the Radiation Biology Program at Loma Linda University. His laboratory is well known for its state-of-the-art equipment. His expertise is in the area of neuroimaging of disease, and the Noninvasive Imaging Laboratory has experience with a broad range of topics and models of disease including Alzhiemers and neurorepair using stem cells. He has been involved in teaching Biomedical Imaging and Radiation Biology, and he has supervised a number of undergraduate and graduate students.
1. Yamaguchi, M., Jadhav, V., Obenaus, A., Colohan, A., Zhang, J.H. (2008) Matrix metalloproteinase inhibition attenuates brain edema in an in vivo model of surgically-induced brain injury. Neurosurgery. 61(5):10
2. Tong KA, Ashwal S, Obenaus A, Nickerson JP, Kido D, Haacke EM. (2008) Susceptibility-Weighted MR Imaging: A Review of Clinical Applications in Children. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008 Jan;29(1):9-17
3. Rostek, C., Turner, E.L., Robbins, M., Rightnar, S., Xiao, W., Obenaus, A. and Harkness, T.A.A. (2008) Involvement of homologous recombination repair after proton-induced DNA damage. Mutagenesis Mar; 23:119-29
4. Obenaus, A., Huang, L., Smith, A., Favre, C, Nelson, G. Kendall, E (2008) Magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy of the rat hippocampus 1 month after 56Fe Radiation. Rad Res. Feb; 169:149-61
5. Sugawara, T., Wang, A., Jadhav, V., Tsubokawa, T., Obenaus, A., Zhang, J.H. (2008) Magnetic resonance imaging in the canine double-haemorrhage subarachnoid haemorrhage model. Acta Neurochir. Suppl 104:235-239.
6. Rola, R., Fishman, K., Baure, J., Rosi, S., Lamborn, K.R., Obenaus, A., Nelson, G., Fike, J.R. (2008) Hippocampal neurogenesis and neuroinflammation after cranial irradiation with 56Fe. Rad Research 169:626-32
7. Vlkolinsky, R., Krucker,T., Smith, A., Lamp, T., Nelson, G., Obenaus, A. (2008) Early effects of 56Fe radation on normal and lipopolysaccaride-inhibited synaptic plasticity in mouse hippocampus. Rad Res.
8. Gridley, D.S., Obenaus, A., Bateman, T.A., Pecaut, M.J. (2008) Chronic changes in rat hematopoietic and other physiological systems after high-energy iron ion irradiation. Intl J Radiat Biol 84:5
9. Willey, JS, Grilly, LG, Howard, SH, SA, Pecaut, MJ, Obenaus A, Gridley, DA, Nelson, GA and Bateman, TA (2008) The effects of 56Fe radiation on the architecture and structural properties of trabecular and cortical bone. Radiation Res 170:201-
10. Jadhav, V., Sugawara, T., Zhang, J.H., Jacobson, P., Obenaus, A. (2008) Magnetic Resonance Imaging Detects and Predicts Early Brain Injury After Subarachnoid Hemorrhage In A Canine Experimental Model J. Neurotrauma 25:1099-106
11. Jadhav, V., Solaroglu, I., Obenaus, A., Zhang, J.H.. (2007) Neuroprotection against Surgically Induced Brain Injury. Surgical Neurology 67:15-20
12. Ashwal, S., Tone, B., Tian, H.R., Obenaus, A. (2007) Comparison of two neonatal ischemic injury models using magnetic resonance imaging. Peds Res. 61:9-14
13. Prasuhn, D.E. Jr., Yeh, R.M., Obenaus, A., Manchester, M., Finn, M. G. (2007) Viral MRI Contrast Agents: Coordination of Gd by Native Virions and Attachment of Gd Complexes by Azide-Alkyne Cycloaddition, Chem. Commun, 2007, 1269 - 127
14. Leung, F.W., Go, V.L.W., Scremin, O.U., Obenaus, A., Tuck, M.L., Golub, M.S., Eggena, P., Leung, J.W. (2007) Pilot studies to demonstrate that intestinal mucosal afferent nerves are functionally linked to visceral adipose tissue. Dig Dis
15. Obenaus, A., Robbins, M., Blanco, G, Galloway, N., Snissarenko, E., Gillard, E., Lee, S., Currás-Collazo, M. (2007) Magnetic resonance imaging alterations in two rat models of mild neurotrauma, J. Neurotrauma 24:1147-60.
16. Wang, R., Ashwal, S., Tone, B., Tian, H.R., Badaut, J., Rasmussen, A., Obenaus, A. (2007) Albumin reduces blood-brain permeability but does not alter infarct size in a rat model of neonatal stroke. Peds Res. 62(3):261-6
17. Obenaus, A., Jacobs, R.E. (2007) Magnetic resonance imaging of functional anatomy: Use for small epilepsy models. Epilepsia 48 (Suppl. 4): 11-17.
18. Belayev, L., Obenaus, A., Zhao, W., Saul, I., Busto, R., Wu,C., Vigdorchik, A., Lin, B., Ginsberg, M.D. (2007) Experimental intracerebral hematoma in the rat: Characterization by sequential magnetic resonance imaging, behavior, and histopath
19. Vlkolinsky, R., Krucker,T., Smith, A., Lamp, T., Nelson, G., Obenaus, A. (2007) Effects of lipopolysaccharide on (56)Fe-particle radiation-induced impairment of synaptic plasticity in the mouse hippocampus. Radiat Res. Oc
20. Hathout, E., Sowers, L., Wang, R., Tan, A., Mace, J., Peverini, R., Chinnock, R., Obenaus, A. (2007) In vivo magnetic resonance imaging of vascularization in islet transplantation. Transpl Int. Sept 10; 20(12)
21. Hou DJ, Tong KA, Ashwal S, Oyoyo U, Joo E, Shutter L, Obenaus A. (2007) Diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging improves outcome prediction in adult traumatic brain injury. J Neurotrauma. 24(10):1558-69.
22. Badaut, J., Ashwal, S., Tone, B., Regli, L., Tian, H.R., Obenaus, A. (2007) Temporal and Regional evolution of Aquaporin 4 expression and magnetic resonance imaging in a rat pup model of neonatal stroke. Peds Res. 62(3):248-54
23. Matrick,J., Hahn,J., Obenaus,A., Zhang, J.H. (2006) Surgically induced brain injury in rats: effect of erythropoietin. J Neurosci Methods 158: 234–241
24. Ashwal, S., Tone, B., Tian, H.R., Chong, S. , Obenaus, A. (2006) Serial magnetic resonance imaging in a rat pup filament stroke model. Exp Neurol 202:294-301 (
25. Haacke, E.M., Cheng, N.Y.C., House, M.J., Liu, Q., Neelavalli, J., Ogg, R., Khan, A., Ayaz, M., Kirsch, W., Obenaus, A. (2005) Imaging iron stores in the brain using magnetic resonance imaging (A Review). Magnetic Resonance Imaging 23