Human oral mcirobiome and systemic diseases
Human oral microbiome being one of the vast and diversified, is shown to have a causal effect on systemic diseases. Recent work from our lab on previously unrecognized and uncultivated species of bacteria such as Filifactor alocis has studied their role in periodontal infection and have shown an emerging paradigm of synergistic and dysbiotic community interaction in periodontitis. Our lab is presently involved in studying the virulence attributes of Filifactor alocis and its role in host cell modulation leading to systemic infections.
Human oral virome
Oral virome plays an important role in the symbiotic relationship between the microorganisms and the host. However, viral commensals are linked with various disease state and our lab is involved in studying how other commensal organisms and the virus interactome shape the susceptibility of host to periodontitis. Our research focus on how virome variations modify the bacterial community leading to pathogen susceptibility.
Host pathogen interaction
Oral microbial pathogens have a long standing association with their host and impart a sustained interaction. Hence, they need to evolve complex adaptation strategies to modulate the host. Our lab is involved in studying such pathogen and host modulations using an important periodontal pathogen - P. gingivalis that is also linked to other systemic diseases. Our research focus is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms involved in its virulence, specifically to study the role of virulence modulating genes (vim), sialidase and sialoglycoproteases in pathogenesis. We are interested in studying the role of glycan variations, sialylation in virulence modulation and host interaction. Our research also involves in silico approach through protein modeling and dynamic protein interactions in studying the virulence determinants of oral pathogens.
Wilson Aruni et al – Cover page of “Infection and Immunity “ 82 (8),2014.
Wilson Aruni et al – Cover page of “ Infection and Immunity” 79 (7), 2011.
1. Wilson Aruni, Kangling Zhang, Yuetan Dou, and Hansel Fletcher (2014).Proteome analysis of Filifactor alocis coinfection of epithelial cells with Porphyromonas gingivalis shows modulation of pathogen and host regulatory pathways. Infection and Immunity. 82(8) (Featured article).
2. Wilson Aruni, O. Chioma, Hansel Fletcher (2014). Filifactor alocis-newly discovered kid on the block with special talents. Journal of Dental Research. June,2014: 1-8.
3. Leroy G. Henry, Marie-Claire Boutrin, Wilson Aruni, Antonette Robles, Alexia Ximinies, Hansel M. Fletcher (2014). Life in a Diverse Oral Community - Strategies for Oxidative Stress Survival. J of Oral Biosciences. 56(2) 63-71.
4. G.Sathish, Kurunchi C.Divya, M.Parthiban, Wilson Aruni (2014). In silico analysis show incidence of very virulent Marek’s Disease Virus (MDV). International J of Computational Bioinformatics and In silico Modeling Vol 3(3):374-380.
5. A. Sasikalaveni, P.L. Sujatha, M.Parthiban, P.Dhanapalan, Wilson Aruni (2014). Computational prediction and In silico analysis of gyrase gene QRDR region coding drug resistance among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates of Tamilnadu. International J of Computational Bioinformatics and In silico Modeling Vol 3(2):362-368.
6. Henry, L. G., Wilson Aruni and H. M. Fletcher.(2013). Protective role of the uvrA-pg1037-uvrD operon in oxidative stress defense in Porphyromonas gingivalis W83. PLoS One. 8 (8): 1-14.
7. Hansel M. Fletcher, Wilson Aruni Ann- Progolske Fox, Y.Dou (2013) “Oral Microbiology and Immunology”ASM press Washington ,D.C., (Editors: Richard Lamont, Robert. A. Burne, Marilyn. S. Lantz, Donald. J. Leblanc) (2013). Chapter - 8. Applied molecular Biology and the oral Microbes.
8. Wilson Aruni, A.Robles and H.M.Fletcher (2013) VimA mediates multiple functions that control virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis –Review. Molecular Oral Microbiology; 28(3):167-80.
9. Arun S. Muthiah, Wilson Aruni, Antonette G. Robles, Yuetan Dou, Francis Roy, Hansel M. Fletcher (2013). In Porphyromonas gingivalis VimF is involved in Gingipain Maturation through the Transfer of Galactose. PLoS One. 24;8(5):e63367.
10. Seiberling KA, Wilson Aruni, Kim S, Scapa VI, Fletcher Church CA (2013).The effect of intraoperative mucoporin irrigation on Staphylococcus aureus within the maxillary sinus. Intl Forum of Allergy Rhinol 3 (2) 94-98.
11. Sabir, Theodore; Rowland, Leah; Milligan, Jamie; Yan, Dong; Wilson Aruni, A; Chen, Qiao; Boskovic, Danilo; Kurti, Ralph; Perry, Christopher (2013) Mechanistic Investigation of Seeded Growth in Triblock Copolymer Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles" Langmuir 26;29(12):3903-11.
12. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy, L. Sandberg and H. M. Fletcher (2012). Proteome variation among Filifactor alocis strains Journal of Proteomics 12 (22):3343-64.
13. Wilson Aruni, J. Lee , D. Osbourne , Y. Dou, F. Roy , , A. Muthiah ,D. S. Boskovic and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of acetyl-CoA levels and lipid A biosynthesis can alter virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity 80(2):550-564.
14. Wilson Aruni (2012). Bioprospecting in ethnomedicine and In vitro assays for lead compound validation- A review. International Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Virology Vol.1;No.2: 4 -10.
15. Osbourne D, Wilson Aruni, Y. Dou, C. Perry, D.S. Boskovic,, F. Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of the secretome in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Molecular Oral Microbiology Dec;27(6):420-35. (Featured Journal article).
16. Rachelle M.E. McKenzie, Neal A. Johnson, Wilson Aruni, Yuetan Dou, Godfred Masinde and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012).Differential response of Porphyromonas gingivalis to varying levels and duration of hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress. Microbiology. 158: 2465-2479.
17. Marie-Claire Boutrin, Charles Wang, Wilson Aruni and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012). Nitric oxide stress resistance in Porphyromonas gingivalis is mediated by pg0893 and other hypothetical genes of unknown function. Journal of Bacteriology 194(6):1582 – 1592.
18. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2011) Filifactor alocis has virulence attributes that can enhance its persistence under oxidative stress conditions and mediate invasion of epithelial cells by Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79 (10) 3872- 3886.
19. Wilson Aruni, Elaine Vanterpool, Devon Osbourne, Francis Roy, Arun Muthiah, Yutan and Hansel M. Fletcher (2011) Sialidase and sialoglycoproteases can modulate virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79(7): 2779-2791. (Featured article).
20. Jesica A. Kanady, Wilson Aruni, Janet R. Ninnis, Andrew O. Hopper, Jamie Blood, Luke Byrd, Leighton Holley, Michael Staker, Hansel Fletcher, Gordon G. Power, and Arlin B. Blood (2011). Nitrate reductase activity of bacteria in saliva of term and preterm infants. Nitric oxide : Nitric Oxide 07/2012; 27(4):193-200.
21. Sabir, Theodore; Yan, Dong; Milligan, Jamie; Wilson Aruni, Nick, Kevin; Ramon, Ruth; Hughes, Joseph; Chen, Qiao; Kurti, Robert; Perry Christopher (2011) Kinetics of Gold Nanoparticle Formation Facilitated by Triblock Copolymers". The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116, 4431-444.
22. Kristin A Seiberling, Richard K McHugh, Christopher A Church, Wilson Aruni, (2011). The Impact of Intraoperative Saline Irrigations on Bacterial Load within the Maxillary Sinus. International forum of Allergy and Rhinology Vol 1 (5) 351-355.
1. Wilson Aruni , P. Ramadass (2011).Animal Tissue culture (ISBN- 9788180940569).
2. P.Ramadass, Wilson Aruni (2009). Research and Writing across disciplines. (ISBN:8180940683, ISBN-13:97881809406282).
3. P. Ramadass , Wilson Aruni (2008). Practical Biotechnology.(ISBN-81-8448-079-2).