The environmental diversity of the oral cavity promotes the establishment of distinct microbial communities, Gram positive and Gram negative anaerobic organisms play an associated role in oral and related systemic pathogenesis of human body. P. gingivalis is an important etiological agent linked with periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease. With a wide array of virulence attributes, they contribute to oral pathogenesis and microbial interaction. Our general research focus is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms involved in its virulence, and in particular to (1) study the role of virulence modulating genes (vimA), sialidase and sialoglycoproteases in pathogenesis, (2) In silico protein modeling and whole proteome approach to study virulence variations among strains. (3) study the molecular morphological variations through advanced imaging techniques using Transmission electron microscopy and Confocal microscopy. (4) evolve a metabolome model of P. gingivalis during oxidative stress. Recent focus is on Filifactor alocis a Gram positive oral pathogen, its association with P. gingivalis, and to explore its pathogenic potential and strain variations through proteomic profiling.Selected Publications
1. Wilson Aruni, F.Roy, L.Sandberg, H.M.Fletcher (2012).Proteome variations in Filifactor alocis strains. Proteomics. Sep 25. doi: 10.1002/pmic.201200211.
2. Wilson Aruni (2012). Bioprospecting in ethnomedicine and In vitro assays for lead compound validation- A review. International Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Virology Vol.1;No.2 January-June 2012
3. Osbourne. D., Wilson Aruni, Dou.Y, Perry.C, Boskovic D.S., Roy F., and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA – dependent modulation of the secretome in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Molecular Oral Microbiology (accepted July 2012) .
4. Rachelle. M.E. McKenzie, Neal NA Johnson, Wilson Aruni, Yuetan Dou, Godfred Masinde and Hansel. M. Fletcher (2012). Differential response of Porphyromonas gingivalis to varying levels and duration of hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative stress. Microbiology. June 2012. doi:10.1099/mic.0.056416-0.
5. Wilson Aruni, J. Lee , D. Osbourne , Y. Dou, F. Roy , , A. Muthiah ,D. S. Boskovic and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of acetyl-CoA levels and lipid A biosynthesis can alter virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity 80(2):550-564.
6. Sabir, Theodore; Yan, Dong; Milligan, Jamie; Wilson Aruni, Nick, Kevin; Ramon, Ruth; Hughes, Joseph; Chen, Qiao; Kurti, Robert; Perry Christopher (2012) Kinetics of Gold Nanoparticle Formation Facilitated by Triblock Copolymers". The Journal of Physical Chemistry , 116(7):4431-4441
7. Seiberling, Kristin; Aruni, Wilson; Kim, Shawn; Fletcher, Hansel; Scapa, Victor; Church, Christopher,(2012). The Effect of Intraoperative Mupirocin Irrigation on Staphylococcus aureus within the Maxillary Sinus. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology (accepted June 2012).
8. Jesica A. Kanady, Wilson Aruni, Janet R. Ninnis, Andrew O. Hopper, Jamie Blood,Luke Byrd, Leighton Holley, Michael Staker, Hansel Fletcher, Gordon G. Power, and Arlin B. Blood (2011). Nitrate reductase activity of bacteria in saliva of term and preterm infants. Nitric oxide : Biology and Chemistry (Nov 2011).
9. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2011) Filifactor alocis has virulence attributes that can enhance its persistence under oxidative stress conditions and mediate invasion of epithelial cells by Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79 (10)3872- 3886.
10. Wilson Aruni, Elaine Vanterpool, Devon Osbourne, Francis Roy, Arun Muthiah, Yutan and Hansel M. Fletcher (2011) Sialidase and sialoglycoproteases can modulate virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79(7): 2779-2791.
11. Wilson Aruni et al., Sialidase and sialoglycoproteases can modulate virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis – SELECTED FOR THE COVER PAGE OF “Infection and Immunity”-July 2011 issue.
12. Wilson Aruni , P. Ramadass (2011).Animal Tissue culture (ISBN- 9788180940569) (M.J.P. Publishers, New Delhi).
13. Kristin A Seiberling, Richard K McHugh, Christopher A Church, Wilson Aruni, (2011). The Impact of Intraoperative Saline Irrigations on Bacterial Load within the Maxillary Sinus. International forum of Allergy and Rhinology Vol 1 (5) 351-355.
14. Marie-Claire Boutrin, Charles Wang, Wilson Aruni and Hansel M. Fletcher (2011). Nitric oxide stress resistance in Porphyromonas gingivalis is mediated by pg0893 and other hypothetical genes of unknown function. Journal of Bacteriology ( Dec 2011).
15.Wilson Aruni and H.M.Fletcher (2011). Synergistic role of Porphyromonas gingivalis in invasion of Filifactor alocis. Proceedings of the Rochester conference on the Post genomics of oral Microbiome pp24.
16.Jesica A. Kanady, Andrew O. Hopper, Janet R. Ninnis, Gordon G.Power, Wilson Aruni, H.M.Fletcher, Arlin B. Blood (2011). Bacterial Nitrate reduction in saliva of new born, American Federation of Medical Research –Western regional meeting, Carmel, CA.
17. E. Vanterpool, Wilson Aruni, F. Roy and H. M. Fletcher.(2010). regT can modulate gingipain activity and response to oxidative stress in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Microbiology 156 (2010), 3065-3072.
18.Saikalaveni, M.Parthiban, P.Dhanapalan, Wilson Aruni, (2010). Genome evolution of gyrase gene (QRDR region coding drug resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates of Tamil Nadu, India. Indian Journal of Biotechnology. Indian Journal of Biotechnology Vol :5 (1) 889-894.
19.S.Rajamuthu, M.Parthiban, T.M.A. SenthilKumar, Wilson Aruni (2010). Nucleotide sequence analysis of the viral envelope protein gene (P32) region of pox virus strains from India. Indian. J. Anim.Sci. 80(2) 91-95.
20. M. Saravanan M. Parthiban , Wilson Aruni (2010). Isolation of Bovine Rotavirus in Cell Culture from Neonatal Calves with Diarrhea. TN J.Vet Anim.Sci. Vol:3,No:5 article: 10.
21. P. Ramadass, Wilson Aruni (2009).Research and Writing across disciplines. ISBN:8180940683, ISBN-13:97881809406282 (Published by M.J.P.Publishers, New Delhi (2009).
223 Wilson Aruni, P. Dhanapalan, Daniel Joy Chandran (2008). An In silico approach to study the mechanism of TFS1P –An inhibitor of MAPK signal transduction down regulator in Saccharomyces cerevisiae and its use in preventing cancer. 3rd International symposium on Animal Functional Genomics, Edinburg, UK.
21. P. Ramadass , Wilson Aruni (2008). Practical Biotechnology.(ISBN-81-8448-079-2) (Published by Jaypee Bros., New Delhi).