Wilson Aruni, PhDWilson Aruni, PhDAssistant Research ProfessorBasic SciencesDivision of MicrobiologySchool of MedicineResearch Interest
Division of Microbiology
School of Medicine
Loma Linda University
Loma Linda, CA 92350
(909) 558-4472 Fax:
The environmental diversity of the oral cavity promotes the establishment of distinct microbial communities, Gram positive and Gram negative anaerobic organisms play an associated role in oral and related systemic pathogenesis of human body. P. gingivalis is an important etiological agent linked with periodontal disease and cardiovascular disease. With a wide array of virulence attributes, they contribute to oral pathogenesis and microbial interaction. Our general research focus is to elucidate the molecular mechanisms involved in its virulence, and in particular to (1) study the role of virulence modulating genes (vimA), sialidase and sialoglycoproteases in pathogenesis, (2) In silico protein modeling and whole proteome approach to study virulence variations among strains. (3) study the molecular morphological variations through advanced imaging techniques using Transmission electron microscopy and Confocal microscopy. (4) evolve a metabolome model of P. gingivalis during oxidative stress. Recent focus is on Filifactor alocis a Gram positive oral pathogen, its association with P. gingivalis, and to explore its pathogenic potential and strain variations through proteomic profiling.
1. Henry, L. G., Wilson Aruni and H. M. Fletcher.(2013). Protective role of the uvrA-pg1037-uvrD operon in oxidative stress defense in Porphyromonas gingivalis W83. PLoS One. (Accepted).
2. Hansel M. Fletcher, Wilson Aruni Ann- Progolske Fox, Y.Dou (2013)“Oral Microbiology and Immunology” ASM press Washington ,D.C., (Editors: Richard Lamont, Robert. A. Burne, Marilyn. S. Lantz, Donald. J. Leblanc) (2013). Chapter - 8. Applied molecular Biology and the oral Microbes
3. Wilson Aruni, A.Robles and H.M.Fletcher (2013) VimA mediates multiple functions that control virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis –Review. Molecular Oral Microbiology; 28(3):167-80.
4. Arun S. Muthiah, Wilson Aruni, Antonette G. Robles, Yuetan Dou, Francis Roy, Hansel M. Fletcher (2013). In Porphyromonas gingivalis VimF is involved in Gingipain Maturation through the Transfer of Galactose. PLoS One. 24;8(5):e63367. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0063367.
5. Seiberling KA, Wilson Aruni, Kim S, Scapa VI, Fletcher Church CA (2013).The effect of intraoperative mucoporin irrigation on Staphylococcus aureus within the maxillary sinus. Intl Forum of Allergy Rhinol 3 (2) 94-98.
6. Sabir, Theodore; Rowland, Leah; Milligan, Jamie; Yan, Dong; Wilson Aruni, A; Chen, Qiao; Boskovic, Danilo; Kurti, Ralph; Perry, Christopher (2013) Mechanistic Investigation of Seeded Growth in Triblock Copolymer Stabilized Gold Nanoparticles" Langmuir 26;29(12):3903-11.
7. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy, L. Sandberg and H. M. Fletcher (2012). Proteome variation among Filifactor alocis strains – A compensatory mechanism for virulence mediated by co-localization Journal of Proteomics- 2012 Nov;12(22):3343-64.
8. Wilson Aruni, J. Lee , D. Osbourne , Y. Dou, F. Roy , , A. Muthiah ,D. S. Boskovic and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of acetyl-CoA levels and lipid A biosynthesis can alter virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis.Infection and Immunity 80(2):550-564.
9. Wilson Aruni (2012). Bioprospecting in ethnomedicine and In vitro assays for lead compound validation- A review. International Journal of Medical and Pharmaceutical Virology Vol.1;No.2 January-June 2012.
10. Osbourne D, Wilson Aruni, Y. Dou, C. Perry, D.S. Boskovic,, F. Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2012). VimA-dependent modulation of the secretome in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Molecular Oral Microbiology Dec;27(6):420-35. (Featured Journal article.)
11. Rachelle M.E. McKenzie, Neal A. Johnson, Wilson Aruni, Yuetan Dou, Godfred Masinde and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012).Differential response of Porphyromonas gingivalis to varying levels and duration of hydrogen peroxide-induced oxidative stress. Microbiology. 158: 2465-2479.
12. Marie-Claire Boutrin, Charles Wang, Wilson Aruni and Hansel M. Fletcher (2012). Nitric oxide stress resistance in Porphyromonas gingivalis is mediated by pg0893 and other hypothetical genes of unknown function. Journal of Bacteriology 194(6):1582 – 1592.
13. Wilson Aruni, Francis Roy and H. M. Fletcher (2011) Filifactor alocis has virulence attributes that can enhance its persistence under oxidative stress conditions and mediate invasion of epithelial cells by Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79 (10)3872- 3886.
14. Wilson Aruni, Elaine Vanterpool, Devon Osbourne, Francis Roy, Arun Muthiah, Yutan and Hansel M. Fletcher (2011) Sialidase and sialoglycoproteases can modulate virulence in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Infection and Immunity. 79(7): 2779-2791. (Featured in Journal Cover July 2011).
15. Jesica A. Kanady, Wilson Aruni, Janet R. Ninnis, Andrew O. Hopper, Jamie Blood, Luke Byrd, Leighton Holley, Michael Staker, Hansel Fletcher, Gordon G. Power, and Arlin B. Blood (2011). Nitrate reductase activity of bacteria in saliva of term and preterm infants. Nitric oxide : Nitric Oxide 07/2012; 27(4):193-200.
16. Sabir, Theodore; Yan, Dong; Milligan, Jamie; Wilson Aruni, Nick, Kevin; Ramon, Ruth; Hughes, Joseph; Chen, Qiao; Kurti, Robert; Perry Christopher (2011) Kinetics of Gold Nanoparticle Formation Facilitated by Triblock Copolymers". The Journal of Physical Chemistry C. 116, 4431-444.
17. Kristin A Seiberling, Richard K McHugh, Christopher A Church, Wilson Aruni, (2011). The Impact of Intraoperative Saline Irrigations on Bacterial Load within the Maxillary Sinus. International forum of Allergy and Rhinology Vol 1 (5) 351-355.
18. E. Vanterpool, Wilson Aruni, F. Roy and H. M. Fletcher.(2010). regT can modulate gingipain activity and response to oxidative stress in Porphyromonas gingivalis. Microbiology 156 (2010), 3065-3072.
1. Wilson Aruni , P. Ramadass (2011).Animal Tissue culture (ISBN- 9788180940569).
2. P.Ramadass, Wilson Aruni (2009). Research and Writing across disciplines. (ISBN:8180940683, ISBN-13:97881809406282).
3. P. Ramadass , Wilson Aruni (2008). Practical Biotechnology.(ISBN-81-8448-079-2).