Cardiovascular adaptation of the fetus and newborn to hypoxic/ischemic stress.
Hypoxic pulmonary hypertension.
Fetal cerebral blood flow and metabolism during hypoxia/ischemia.
Bioactivity of nitric oxide metabolites.
Selected Publications1. Applegate RL, Ramsingh DS, Dorotta I, Sanghvi C, Blood AB. Evaluation of multiple modes of oximetry monitoring as an index of splanchnic blood flow in a newborn lamb model of hypoxic, ischemic, and hemorrhagic stress. Shock. 2013 Jun;39(6):501.
2. Blood AB, Terry MH, Merritt T, Papametheakis DG, Blood Q, Ross JM, Power GG, Longo LD, Wilson SM. Effect of chronic perinatal hypoxia on the role of rho-kinase in pulmonary artery contraction in newborn lambs. Am J Physiol Reg Integr Comp Physiol. 2013 Jan 15;304(2):R136-46
3. Kanady JA, Wilson A, Ninnis JR, Hopper AO, Blood JD, Byrd BL, Holley LR, Staker MR, Fletcher HM, Power GG, Blood AB. Nitrate reductase activity of bacteria in saliva of term and preterm infants. Nitric Oxide. 2012 Jul 26.
4. Mazela J, Merritt TA, Terry MH, Gregory TJ, Blood AB. Comparison of poractant alfa and lyophilized lucinactant in a preterm lamb model of acute respiratory distress. Ped Res. 2012 Mar 30.
5. Ibrahim YI, Ninnis JR, Hopper AO, Deming DD, Zhang AX, Herring JL, Sowers LC, McMahon TJ, Power GG, Blood AB. Inhaled nitric oxide therapy increases blood nitrite, nitrate, and s-nitrosohemoglobin concentrations in infants with pulmonary hypertension. J Pediatr. 2012 Feb;160(2):245-51.
6. Blood AB, Schroeder HJ, Terry MH, Merrill-Henry J, Bragg SL, Vrancken K, Liu T, Herring JL, Sowers LC, Wilson SM, Power GG. Inhaled nitrite reverses hemolysis-induced pulmonary vasoconstriction in newborn lambs without blood participation. Circulation. 2011, Feb 15;123(6):605-12.
7. Terry MH, Merritt TA, Harding B, Schroeder H, Merrill-Henry J, Mazela J, Gregory TJ, Segal R, Power GG, Blood AB. Pulmonary distribution of lucinactant and poractant alfa and their peri-dosing hemodynamic effects in a preterm lamb model of respiratory distress syndrome. Pediatr Res. 2010 Sep;68(3):193-8.
8. Blood AB, Verma ST, Lo JY, Longo LD, Tiso M, Joshi MS, Gladwin MT, Kim-Shapiro DB, Power GG. Rapid reduction of nitrite to nitric oxide by fetal ovine hemoglobin. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009 Feb;296(2):H237-46.
9. Conahey GR, Kirby LS, Terry MH, Hopper AO, Ninnis JR, Power GG, Blood AB. Effect of inhaled nitric oxide on cerebrospinal fluid and blood nitrite concentrations in newborn lambs.. Pediatric Research. 2008 Oct;64(4):375-80.
10. Blood AB, Power GG. In vitro and in vivo kinetic handling of nitrite in blood: effects of varying hemoglobin oxygen saturation. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2007 Sep;293(3):H1508-17. Epub 2007 May 18.
11. Hunter CJ, Dejam A, Blood AB, Machado RF, Tarekegn S, Hopper AO, Schechter AN, Power GG, Gladwin MT. Therapeutic application of nebulized nitrite as a hypoxia-sensitive NO-dependent selective pulmonary vasodilator. Nat Med. 2004 Oct;10(10):1122-1127.
12. Blood AB, Hunter CJ, and Power GG. Adenosine mediates decreased cerebral metabolic rate and increased cerebral blood flow during acute moderate hypoxia in the near-term fetal sheep J Physiol. 2003 Dec 15;553(Pt 3):935-45. Epub 2003 Sep 18.
13. Hunter CJ, Bennet L, Power GG, Roelfsema V, Blood AB, Quaedackers JS, Guan J, and Gunn AJ. A key neuroprotective role for endogenous adenosine A1 receptor activation during asphyxia in the fetal sheep. Stroke 2003 Sep;34(9):2240-5. Epub 2003 Aug 21
14. Hunter CJ, Blood AB, and Power GG. Cerebral metabolism during cord occlusion and hypoxia in the fetal sheep: a novel method of continuous measurement based on heat production. J. Physiol. 2003 Jul 23
15. Blood AB, Hunter CJ, and Power GG. The role of adenosine in the control of cerebral blood flow during hypoxia in the late term ovine fetus. J. Physiol. 2002 Sep;543(3):1015-1023.