USMLE Step 2 Policy
Step 2 includes two components: a knowledge component and a clinical skills component. Both components must be passed prior to graduation.
- The clinical skills examination score is comprised of three components: an integrated clinical encounter, an assessment of communication skills, and an assessment of English language skills. Each of the three components must be passed to earn a passing score on the clinical skills examination.
- Students must take the USMLE Step 2 knowledge component within three (3) months of passing the CCSE, or by November 1, 2007 (whichever is later).
- Both the knowledge and clinical skills components of USMLE Step 2 must be taken by December 31, 2007. If the Dean’s Office does not receive a passing score for both components of USMLE Step 2 by February 14, 2008, the student will be removed from the match process as it is unlikely the student will be able to start residency on time.
- Should a student take and pass Step 2 prior to completing school specific requirements for promotion to the senior year, the student will not receive credit for any senior rotations prior to meeting the school specific requirements.
- Students must pass each component of Step 2 in no more than four attempts and within two years of the first attempt. Failure to pass in four attempts will result in the student’s dismissal from School. The student may appeal their dismissal to the School of Medicine Executive Committee.
- A student who has completed all curriculum requirements except for passing Step 2 will remain enrolled in the School on directed study until the student passes Step 2. The student will be charged tuition for the time spent in directed study.