The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, Pacific Southwest Chapter, announced eight Emmy nominations for season 3 of Loma Linda University and LLU Medical Center's television show, "Loma Linda 360," on April 26, 2011. The show is entirely produced by the office of university relations at LLU.
According to Patricia Thio, associate director of PR video, "Loma Linda 360" highlights LLU's vision of transforming lives. Loma Linda is only one of a handful of institutions that utilizes a broadcast show to advance the organization's mission to its key publics.
"What makes our team unique is that we all have a background in both storytelling and production," explains Ms. Thio. "We form a close relationship with our subjects and dive deep into the matter in order to unveil stories of the human spirit prevailing through hardship. We tell the Loma Linda story to inspire viewers to help make a positive difference."
Season 3 featured gripping documentary footage taken just minutes after the 2010 Haiti earthquake, the story of Baby Fae who captured the hearts of our nation 25 years ago, and other documentaries that take place at home and around the globe.
The show aired last year on the PBS affiliate KVCR and KVCR-DC. It can be viewed online at llu.edu/360, youtube.com/lomalinda360, and vimeo.com/channels/ll360.
This is the show's third year to receive Emmy nominations. Last year, LLU swept its categories by bringing home three Emmy Awards. The 37th Annual Pacific Southwest Emmy Awards will take place on June 18, 2011, in Carlsbad, California.
The nominations are:
Health/Science - Program or Special
• "Loma Linda 360," episode 2—"Stephanie's Heart: Part 1," Michael Wolcott, Larry Kidder, Loma Linda University
• "Loma Linda 360," episode 3—"Stephanie's Heart: Part 2," Michael Wolcott, Larry Kidder, Loma Linda University
• "Basotholand," Maranatha Hay, Loma Linda University
• "Loma Linda 360," episode 4, Cosmin Cosma, Michael Wolcott, Maranatha Hay, Patricia Thio, Loma Linda University
• "Loma Linda 360," episode 5, Patricia Thio, Maranatha Hay, Cosmin Cosma, Loma Linda University
Public/Current/Community Affairs - Program or Special
• "Loma Linda 360," episode 1—"Out of the Rubble," Michael Wolcott, Cosmin Cosma, Loma Linda University
Human Interest - Single Story or Series
• "Crossing Out Fear," Patricia Thio, Cosmin Cosma, Loma Linda University
Documentary - Topical
• "Baby Blue," Maranatha Hay, Loma Linda University