School of Dentistry to host 2008 alumni student convention, February 7 to 11
The 2008 Alumni Student Convention (ASC) for the School of Dentistry will take place February 7 to 11. This year marks the 58th anniversary of ASC, and is the second time in the School’s history that a class (this year the class of 1958) celebrates its 50th anniversary.
Alumni returning to their alma mater will enjoy a full six days of social and educational events. Thursday, February 7, 2008
Kicking off the ASC, student table clinic presentations will be held beginning at 7:30 a.m. in Wong Kerlee International Conference Center. ASC attendees who view all presentations and complete a questionnaire will be awarded two complimentary California continuing dental education credits.
• A variety of seminars and courses, from financial to clinical (digital radiography, CPR, techniques in instrument sharpening, among others), will take place on Thursday.
Seminars are organized into the following tracks: what’s new in dental research; periodontics; operative/restorative dentistry; CPR; digital radiography; dental hygiene; and financial. A comprehensive course list with times is available by accessing <llu.edu /llu/dentistry/alumni/> and selecting the 2008 ASC link.
• Spouses of alumni and dental faculty are invited to the Women’s Auxiliary Luncheon. The theme of the luncheon will be dental missions. The event begins at 11:00 a.m. and will be held at the Marriott Hotel, 3400 Market Street, Riverside, 92501. The cost is $45 per person. Please RSVP to Arlene Lee, (909) 825-5384, indicating number and names of those who wish to attend. Tickets will be available at the door.
• At 1:00 p.m., author and speaker John Gray, PhD, will lead a seminar, “Mars and Venus in the workplace” (see announcement below). This course will enhance overall productivity at work, reduce gender conflict, improve morale, and increase awareness. It will expand the ability of participants to lead and motivate others by recognizing that there are differences in how men and women lead and react to leadership styles. This event will be held in the Loma Linda University Church and is $40 per person.
• The 2008 homecoming banquet will begin at 4:30 p.m. and will be held in the Wong Kerlee International Conference Center. Emcee Pete McLeod will entertain attendees with an evening of comedy and magic. Tickets for the banquet are $40 (banquet attendance is complimentary for alumni from the classes of 1958 and 2008). Friday, February 8, 2008
• The missionary dentist and prayer breakfast will be held in the Loma Linda University Church fellowship hall at 7:00 a.m.
• Avid golfers can compete in the annual ASC golf tournament at the Yucaipa Valley Golf Club. Following a light continental breakfast, there will be a shotgun start to allow all participants to finish at the same time. This will be followed by a raffle of dental-related prizes. The field is limited to the first 60 golfers registered for the tournament. Sign-in is 7:30 a.m.; tee-off is at 8:00 a.m.
• Scientific sessions will be held throughout the day. Friday tracks include prosthodontics; operative/restorative dentistry; and endodontics.
• The dental hygienists and assistants homecoming luncheon will be held at 11:30 a.m. at the Historic Mission Inn in Riverside. The classes of 1963, 1968, 1973, 1978, 1983, 1988, 1993, 1998, and 2003 will be recognized during the luncheon. The cost for this event is $45 per person.
• ASC attendees are invited to join Charles J. Goodacre, DDS, MS, dean, and School administration in Prince Hall for the family reception and tour of the School of Dentistry. A fascinating multimedia presentation chronicling the School’s roots based in faith and hope will be presented.
• The student dedication will be held at 4:00 p.m. in the Loma Linda University Church. During the dedication, members of the dental class of 2011 and dental hygiene class of 2009 will dedicate their professional lives to Christian service. Each entering student will be presented with a personalized, leather-bound Bible.
The dental and dental hygiene classes of 2008 will rededicate their professional lives in a white coat ceremony. Each participating student will receive a personalized laboratory coat embroidered with the School of Dentistry insignia. Sunday, February 10, 2008
• The anesthesia symposium (didactic session) will be held in the Wong Kerlee International Conference Center, and will feature Jesus Berdeja, MD, assistant professor, School of Medicine; and Raymond Wong, MD, associate professor, School of Medicine. Seven hours of CDE credit are offered. The cost is $140 (DDS) and $90 for LLUSD alumni.
• Also on Sunday, “Anterior implant esthetics: treatment planning, restorative, and surgical concepts,” will be held in Wong Kerlee International Conference Center. Presenters are: Joseph Y. Kan, DDS, MS, professor, restorative dentistry; and Jaime L. Lozada, DDS, director, graduate programs, oral implant dentistry. Seven hours of CDE credit are offered. The cost is $140. Monday, February 11, 2008
• The anesthesia symposium (simulation workshop) will be held in the Wong Kerlee International Conference Center and in the LLU Simulation Center. Presenters for the simulation workshop are: Larry Trapp, DDS, MS, director, postgraduate program and associate professor, dental anesthesiology, School of Dentistry; and Barry Krall, DDS, director, predoctoral program and assistant professor, dental anesthesiology, School of Dentistry.
Cost to attend this event is $180 (DDS only) and seven hours of CDE credit are available.
To learn more about the ASC, access <llu.edu/llu/dentistry/ alumni/>.
By Nancy Yuen