School of Nursing honors Centennial Fellows at Kathryn Jensen Nelson Society annual recognition brunch
Loma Linda University leadership pose for a picture with major centennial fellows donors following the wall unveiling. Pictured from left is Richard Hart, MD, DrPH; William Swatek, MD; Rose Swatek; Marjorie Jessie; Claran Jesse, MD; B. Lyn Behrens, MBBS; and Helen King, PhD, RN.
During the Kathryn Jensen Nelson (KJN) Society brunch held Sunday, April 3, in the Wong Kerlee International Conference Center, special recognition was given to supporters of the School of Nursing during this centennial year. Each year the KJN brunch is held during homecoming weekend to honor those who give $250 or more to the School of Nursing during the previous year.
As the School of Nursing celebrates its 100 years, an entire weekend of special events was held for alumni and friends of the School.
The morning brunch began with a welcome from Helen King, PhD, RN, dean of the School of Nursing. Lois Van Cleve, PhD, RN, FAAN, offered the blessing and KJN members were invited to eat.
Lauren Joy Wareham, a future nursing student, provided special music for members while they ate. Ms. Wareham was ac
Centennial fellows of the School of Nursing pose for a photograph following the Kathryn Jensen Nelson Society brunch.
companied by her mother, Dorothy Wareham.
Following brunch, Anabelle Mills Hills, emeritus associate professor, School of Nursing, was interviewed by Dr. King. Ms. Mills Hills taught skills lab for several years for the School and is always mentioned by alumni as someone they most look forward to seeing during alumni weekend. Ms. Mills Hills reflected on how nursing has changed over her lifetime.
As a longtime professor at the School of Nursing, Sylvia Stewart, PhD, RN, assistant professor, also reflected on how nursing has changed at Loma Linda during her tenure.
Jan Nick, PhD, RN, associate professor, then presented Dr. King with the Faculty Leader-ship Award in recognition for her longtime leadership of the School of Nursing. Dr. King has announced that she will retire at the end of this school year.
After receiving her award, Dr. King thanked the KJN members and paid special tribute to special major donors and to the centennial fellows.
Following the program, KJN members were ushered to the School of Nursing lobby in West Hall for an unveiling of the Centennial Fellows Wall. Each member of the centennial fellows is honored with a glass plaque with their name engraved on it.
At the wall unveiling, B. Lyn Behrens, MBBS, CEO of LLUAHSC; Richard Hart, MD, DrPH, chancellor of LLU; and J. Lynn Martell, DMin, vice chancellor for advancement, LLU, made remarks thanking the centennial fellows for their support of the School of Nursing.
The centennial fellows program is a special financial giving campaign through which centennial fellows help to celebrate the School’s first centennial (in 2005-2006) and enable future nursing education. This program represents individual partnerships between friends and alumni of the School of Nursing and the University to create a $1 million endowment fund. This fund will support all the educational and scholarship programs within the School. Individuals and/or groups will be named as centennial fellows with a gift of $20,000 or more.
For information on how to become a member of the Kathryn Jensen Nelson Society, please contact the office of advancement at (909) 558-4513.School of Nursing Centennial Fellows
• Nancy Bergstrom, PhD
• Shayne Bigelow–Price, RN
• In loving memory of Mariel Jean Blaine
• Becky Bossert, DNS, Dynnette Hart, DrPH, & Patricia Jones, PhD
• Bessie Wat Ching
• Marcia Dunbar (parts 1 & 2) & Peggy Burns (part 3)
• In memory of Edna Angell Brown, RN, LLUSN, 1930
• LLUSN Alumni Association, Life Members
• LLUSN alumni class of 1952 Golden Anniversary class gift (3 Fellowships)
• LLUSN alumni class of 1953 Golden Anniversary class gift
• Class of 1954 A & B Golden Anniversary class gift
• Class of 1958 A & B Golden Anniversary class gift
• Class of 1959
• Class of 1960
• Vincent & Alice Dachary
• Vivien Dee, PhD
• Lian Ishikawa Funada & Dean Funada
• Marilyn Herrmann, PhD
• Jack & Joan Hilde
• Lucille C. Innes, in memory of Marcia Darrah Buchanan, first librarian of the Lovelace Foundation of New Mexico
• Claran & Marjorie Jesse
• Margaret Elloway Kaufman & Leonard Kaufman
• Eleanor Bullock Keller, 1957B, in memory of Evalyn Bullock, WM 1930, & Evelyn Gieske Bullock, WM 1929
• Nellie Kimbrough
• Bill & Debbie King
• Helen & William King
• Jeff, Julie, Stefani, & Jeffrey James Leeper
• LLUMC executive nursing leadership
• LLUSN faculty in honor of Dr. Helen King
• In memory of James R. McNaughton
• Jean Kinzer Murdoch, MS
• Paul & Bertha Plummer
• Patricia Pothier, PhD, & Lois Van Cleve, PhD
• Karen J. Radke, PhD
• Sigma Theta Tau International, Gamma Alpha Chapter, School of Nursing, Loma Linda University
• Mark & Anita Schultz
• William & Rose Swatek
• Arlene Rose Taylor, PhD
• Betty Winslow, PhD