Anatomy Pavilion to bear names of donors William and Rose Swatek
As groundbreaking takes place this weekend for the long-anticipated Centennial Complex, among those celebrating the historic moment will be a couple who met and married at Loma Linda in the 1940s—William Swatek, MD, and his wife, Rose Swatek, RN.
To honor them for their generous contribution to the new facility, a key component of the new complex will be named the William and Rose Swatek Anatomy Pavilion.
A relationship of more than six decades between the Swateks and Loma Linda began in 1944 when William entered the College of Medical Evangelists (as Loma Linda University was then known) as a freshman medical student. In April of 1946, he and Rose Larson, a registered nurse, were married on campus in Burden Hall.
Following his graduation with an MD in 1948, Dr. Swatek completed an internship at Nashville General Hospital in Tennessee and then returned to CME for a residency in the department of pathology.
After additional training and experience in Washington, D.C., and Massachusetts, Dr. Swatek served from 1958 to 1968 as chief pathologist, director of laboratories, and director of the radioisotope diagnostic program at Washington Adventist Hospital in Takoma Park, Maryland. Additionally, he was pathologist and director of the laboratory at Leland Memorial Hospital in College Park, Maryland. In 1966 and 1967, he served two terms as president of the medical staff of Washington Adventist Hospital. In collaboration with Columbia Union College, he established an appro
ved School of Medical Technology.
A new phase in their careers began in 1968, when the Swateks relocated to Pontiac, Michigan. There, Dr. Swatek served as pathologist, director of laboratories, and director of the Blood Bank at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. While in Michigan, Dr. Swatek, along with colleagues, established the School of Medical Technology in association with Michigan State University in East Lansing.
From Michigan, the Swateks moved to Grenada Lake Medical Center in Mississippi. In this new location, Dr. Swatek worked closely with the chief medical examiner of the state of Mississippi, covering medical and legal autopsies for six counties.
In 1986, the Swateks came full circle, returning to Loma Linda—a place holding many fond memories for both of them.
Through his more than six decades of medical practice, Dr. Swatek taught at a number of medical institutions, including the College of Medical Evangelists, Tufts University School of Medicine, Wayne State University School of Medicine, and Michigan State University.
The Swateks gratefully acknowledge God’s leading and guidance in every aspect of their lives throughout the years, including their financial resources. In addition to enabling the new anatomy pavilion through a major gift, they have also funded endowed chairs and scholarships in the School of Medicine and the School of Nursing.
The new Swatek Anatomy Pavilion—replacing the aging and limited 1936 anatomy facility still in use—will provide urgently needed space to accommodate the hundreds of students who today study anatomy in the various schools of the University.