Historic shovel used to inauguate Centennial Complex groundbreaking
Lowell C. Cooper, MDiv, MPH (center), chair of the Loma Linda University Adventist Health Sciences Center Board of Trustees, displays the historic shovel during the groundbreaking for the Centennial Complex.
The recent dedication and groundbreaking for the Centennial Complex included a unique piece of history. The University libraries department of archives & special collections has lots of interesting artifacts, and in preparation for the upcoming celebration, one of the library staff members noticed a shovel that might be appropriate to use for the ground-breaking ceremonies.
Upon closer inspection, however, the inscribed brass plate revealed that it was an Ames tempered steel coal shovel that was purchased and used during the 50th anniversary celebration of Loma Linda University, then known as the College of Medical Evangelists.
The inscription on the shovel shows that it has had a special role in the University’s history. It was used during the 50th anniversary celebration to dedicate the x-ray addition (May 1, 1956), the Cafeteria Business Center (December 11, 1956), Kate Lindsay Hall (May 26, 1959), the College Church (August 1, 1959), Griggs Hall (December 14, 1961), the University Hospital (June 7, 1964), and the Del E. Webb Memorial Library and Randall Visitors Center (August 27, 1979).
As luck would have it, there was space for one more inscription: the Centennial Complex. With that final inscription the shovel will be retired and preserved as a legacy of the commitment of Loma Linda University and Loma Linda University Medical Center for the second half century.
Lowell Cooper, MDiv, MPH, chair of the Board of Trustees for Loma Linda University Adventist Health Sciences Center, used the shovel and commented on its significance during the groundbreaking and dedication ceremonies.
“Once again this simple tool will play a role in the progress of institutions on this campus,” says Pastor Cooper. “Let us all use the tools and skills that have been placed in our hands, and in response to God’s leadership and blessing, continue to build for now and eternity.”
By Michael W. Campbell