The School was begun in 1948 with the organization of the School of Tropical and Preventive Medicine, the purpose of which was to provide a base for research and teaching. After its reorganization in 1961, the Division of Public Health and Tropical Medicine began to offer master's degree programs through the Graduate School. Establishment of the School of Public Health was authorized in 1964, and plans were made for faculty and facilities to meet the requirements of the Committee on Professional Education of the American Public Health Association.
The mission of the School of Public Health reflects a distinctly Christian orientation and purpose in preparing students as public health professionals for local, national, and international service.
The School is proud to maintain full accreditation from WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges), CEPH (Council on Education for Public Health), and ASPH (Association of Schools of Public Health).
The School of Public Health’s commitment to students is to provide an exceptional learning environment--whether that be in a traditional classroom setting, at a satellite campus overseas, or via the Internet.