General Education Requirements
General education at Loma Linda University consists of required courses in addition the program requirements that will provide the basics of cultural heritage and diversity, scientific inquiry and analysis, communication, and wellness to the student’s undergraduate learning experience. These requirements are organized into four domains, and the curriculum is designed to emphasize the University’s spiritual heritage as well as moral and ethical decision making that is grounded in Christian principles.
Domain 1: Religion and Humanities
Required: (28-32 quarter units)
- Religion: 4 units of religion are required for each year of attendance at a Seventh-day Adventist college. (prorated, up to 16 units)
- Humanities: Must include a minimum of 12 units. The credits in humanities must be selected from at least three of the following areas: civilization/history, fine arts, literature, modern language, performing/visual arts (not to exceed 4 quarter units), or philosophy.
Domain 2: Scientific Inquiry and Analysis
Required: (24-32 quarter units)
- Natural Sciences: must include a minimum of 12 units. The units in natural sciences must be selected from two of the following content areas: biology, chemistry, geology, mathematics, physics, and statistics. No more than 6 units in one area will be counted.
- Social Sciences: must include a minimum of 12 units. One course (or components integrated into several courses) dealing specifically with issues of human diversity is required (e.g. cultural anthropology). The remaining units in the social sciences must be selected from the following content areas: anthropology, economics, geography, political sciences, psychology, and sociology.
Domain 3: Communication
Required: (9-13 quarter units)
- English Composition: must include a complete sequence that meets the baccalaureate degree requirements of a four-year college or university. (For samples of English composition requirements, see the end of this section.)
- Other Areas: may include courses in computer information systems, critical thinking, and public speaking.
Domain 4: Health and Wellness
Required: (2-6 quarter units)
- Physical Education: must include at least two separate physical activity courses totaling a minimum of 1 quarter unit.
- Personal Health or Nutrition: one course.
- Additional Units: may include other areas of health, nutrition, and physical fitness.
BSPH Contact Information
Contact: Brad Jamison, PhD, MPH
Direct Phone: (909) 558-7662
Toll-free: (877) 558-1600