Emergency Preparedness and Response Certificates
The Certificate in Emergency Preparedness and Response will provide students with knowledge
and skills to effectively plan, implement, and evaluate domestic and international public health
emergency response and recovery efforts.
Upon completion of this certificate, participants will be able to:
- Take leadership and management roles in disaster preparedness and response.
- Design a preparedness and response plan.
- Create and execute table-top exercises and drills.
- Evaluate and assess community and institutional capacity for emergency preparedness
- Address the major public health issues that arise during emergencies.
Following the successful completion of the program, each participant will be awarded a
certificate in Emergency Preparedness and Response from Loma Linda University, School of
This certificate program is designed for the audience listed above who meet the following
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Those planning to obtain the certificate must apply and be accepted as students by the School of Public Health.
- GLBH519 Principles of Disaster Management I 3
- GLBH520 Principles of Disaster Management II 3
- GLBH521 Principles of Disaster Management III 3
- GLBH558 Public Health Issues in Emergencies 3
- GLBH559 Psychosocial Models and Interventions 3
- GLBH560 Economic, Legal, and Policy Issues in Disasters 3
- RELE534 Ethical Issues in Public Health 3
Student must choose two (6 units) from the following courses:
- GLBH547 Refugee and Displaced Population Health 3
- GLBH548 Violence and Terrorism Issues 3
- GLBH555 Technology in Emergency Management 3
- GLBH557 Epidemiology of Disasters (currently not being offered) 3
- ENVH524 GIS Applications and Methods 3
- ENVH527 Geospatial Technologies for Emergency Preparedness and Management 3
Students choosing to take a certificate are encouraged to carefully consider the certificate as
a focused area of interest and also be aware that a maximum of 9 units can be shared
between the MPH degree and the chosen certificate program.
Ehren Ngo, MS, EMT-P
Phone: (909) 558-8519