The Master of Science in Public Health degree program in biostatistics is a two-year program that emphasizes statistical methods, data processing and computing, and epidemiology. It is intended to train persons for collaborative work with scientists in nearly every area related to public health and medicine. A thesis is required. Students work with faculty as research associates during their training.
Upon completion of this degree, the graduate should be able to:
1. Apply advanced statistical theory to the solution of applied statistical problems.
2. Design and implement a research study including formulating research
questions, appropriate study designs, sample size, sampling scheme, datacollection
methods and analyses.
3. Critically review literature relevant to statistical methods and interpretation of
statistical findings and identify strengths and weaknesses of design.
4. Serve as statistical consultant and collaborator with health professionals on
research projects, communicate the results of analyses and write the statistical
methods and results sections of a research paper.
5. Select appropriate statistical methods to analyze data, establish and manage
databases using current computer software (e.g., SAS, SPLUS, and SPSS).
Program Educational Effectiveness Indicators
|Midterm and Comprehensive Final Exam
||This exam includes all materials covered in the course in that term
||A comprehensive written paper
||A written comprehensive exam on 5 different STAT subjects
||After completion of research, the student is required to present it
|Course evaluation forms
||Suggestions by the students to improve delivery of course material and the design of the course itself
Calculus (one year)
- Linear algebra (one quarter)
- Computer literacy (knowledge and experience in computer operating systems, especially the Windows environment; and some programming experience recommended)
- Research and forums
Students are required to attend a minimum of twenty (20) forums in the School of Public Health’s Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics and/or Center for Health Research during their program. Attendance at these forums will be in addition to attendance at the public health seminars.
In order to obtain a degree, the student is required to successfully complete a written comprehensive examination as required by the School of Public Health’s Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics.
The culminating activity includes a written comprehensive examination; research thesis, including a written report and oral presentation; professional portfolio (upon completion of the research); and an exit interview with the department chair (at the conclusion of the program).
Public health core courses (29 units)
- ENVH 509 Principles of Environmental Health (3)
- EPDM 509 Principles of Epidemiology I (3)
- HADM 509 Principles of Health Policy and Management (3)
- HPRO 509 Principles of Health Behavior (3)
- RELE 534 Ethical Issues in Public Health (3)
- PHCJ 605 Overview of Public Health (1)
- STAT 521 Biostatistics I (4)
- HPRO 536 Program Planning & Evaluation (2)
- GLBH 524 Issues in Health Disparities & Cultural Competency (2)
- NUTR 509 Public Health Nutrition (3)
- PHCJ 675 Integrated Public Health Capstone (2)
Biostatistics core courses (42 units)
- EPDM 510 Principles of Epidemiology II (3)
- EPDM 515 Clinical Trials (3)
- STAT 522 Biostatistics II (4)
- STAT 523 Biostatistics III (4)
- STAT 525 Applied Multivariate Analysis (3)
- STAT 535 Introduction to Nonparametric Statistics (3)
- STAT 538 Probability and Statistical Theory I (3)
- STAT 539 Probability and Statistical Theory II (3)
- STAT 545 Survival Analysis (3)
- STAT 548 Analytical Applications of SAS (2)
- STAT 557 Research-Data Management (3)
- STAT 564 Survey and Advanced Research Methods (3)
- STAT 569 Advanced Data Analysis (3)
- STAT 594 Statistical Consulting (2)
Thesis (8 units)
STAT 695 Thesis (8)
MINIMUM UNITS REQUIRED 71 + theses units (8)
Contact Information - Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Web site: www.llu.edu/public-health/epibio
Phone: (909) 558-4590